At Eastwards Consortium, our focus is primarily on educating and developing the next generation of our society. This section showcases off our ‘Wellcomm Primary’ activity set, and below you will find a set of tabs which depict these tasks further. If you find children are struggling with a task or, on the other hand, passing with flying colours, indications and suggestions are proposed in each section to ensure you keep all children challenged and on-task as much as possible.
To view the various parts of each activity, simply click on the respective tab and watch it magically appear!
RECALLING AND RETELLING A STORY
- Choose a short story book from home or borrow one from the library. Read the story through together.
- Work together to create a plan of the story. A link to the blank planning sheet and an example sheet can be found in the next tab. You can both write/draw ideas, pictures and sentences as this is a Speech and Language activity, not a writing assessment. Talk about all the choices and ideas that you both have.
- Ask the child to retell the story, using the planning sheet to support.
- If a child uses the wrong grammar, model the correct sentence and ask your child to repeat it back.
HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS ACTIVITY MORE CHALLENGING?
- Add in time connectives to tell the story e.g. first, next, after, last.
- Add in descriptive adjectives e.g. long, golden hair.
- Plan and retell their own story.
- Write sentences from the story with correct punctuation.
HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS ACTIVITY EASIER?
- Refer back to the original story book to support creating the planning sheet.
- Choose a real life event to tell, for example celebrations at Eid or Christmas.